Getting Redhat 7.1 working on toshiba tecra 8000
Here's what I had to do to get built in sound and modem working under redhat
7.1 on a toshiba tecra 8000. It may not be the best way, but it works, and
I'm impatient when it comes to tinkering with hardware config.
- run /usr/sbin/sndconfig as root
- Choose "Sound Blaster Pro" from the list. Make sure I/O
= port 0x220, IRQ = 5, DMA = 0. (If that doesn't work you could try
looking in the BIOS to see what it thinks the values should be --
press ESC (followed by F1 when prompted at boot).
- Make sure the entry in /etc/modules.conf looks something like:
alias sound-slot-0 sb
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0
- check what kernel version you have by running uname -r
- fetch from
http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/redhat/ the version that best
matches your kernel version number (equal major, highest lower minor
number) -- stock redhat 7.1 has kernel version 2.4.2-2 so for that you
- install it as root -- rpm -i ltmodem-kv_2.4.2_2-5.99b-1.i386.rpm
- make sure the entry in /etc/modules.conf looks like
alias char-major-62 lt_serial
options lt_modem Forced=3,0x1c00,0x2f8
- you will need to run depmod as root to update the module
- if you want to check if it will load run modprobe lt_modem
- if you have the kernel daeomon thing running, it will autoload
lt_modem when you try to use the modem
- use the Dialup Configuration utility to configure an internet account
to dial to test the modem. Tell it your modem is /dev/modem.
- in it's advanced settings tell it to let ppp do all authentication.
Neo-magic Graphics Card
Other minor note: the X11 setup which autodetects the graphics card
gets it right, but thinks it only has one meg of memory, whereas it
has 4 megs; change it to get higher resolutions and bit depths.
- If the above is useful and works for you, send me an email
just so that I know it was worth writing this down.
- Similarly if there is anything wrong with this information, or you
have any suggestions for improvements, let me know so I can fix it.